August 16, 2013

August 16

August 16, 2013:  Friday, 19th week, Ordinary Time
Jos 24:1-13  Joshua to Israel:  “Lord led Abraham, multiplied descendants, gave Isaac, sent Moses, smote Egypt, led you out, destroyed Amorites, saved you from Balaam, delivered Jericho, gave you land and food."
Ps 136:1-3, 16-18, 21-22, 24  His mercy endures forever.

Mt 19:3-12  Pharisees tested Jesus:  “Divorce OK?”  Don't separate what God joined...though some are incapable of marriage.”

Music connection

Eternal is his mercy/ Joncas; sheet music for update:  God's love is everlasting

Apparel connections
  • "Kids on grass by school bus" tie:  land and progeny (1st reading), Jesus teaching Pharisees (gospel)
  • "Hearts" suspenders:  God's wonder-working mercy (psalm), marriage (gospel)
  • "Question mark" tie pin:  Pharisees' questions to Jesus (gospel)
Why the blog?

I believe not only that "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness" (2 Tim 3:16, emphasis mine) but also that the readings of the day, which not only cycle through the Bible but also factor in seasons like Advent and special celebrations like the Transfiguration, merit special attention. In the same way Cardinal Mahony's Gather Faithfully Together encourages reflection on Sunday's readings in advance, I've sought to read and pray about the readings for years, using whatever tricks I can to stay faithful. Planning appropriate music for weekly celebrations has kept me in touch with Sunday readings, but I was less consistent with daily ones before getting the idea (last year?) to factor them into my choice of what to wear. The "dress" exercise challenges me beyond these connections (which I find fun) to the more important issue of making my daily life more in tune with God's Word. I've only been posting for less than a month; I hope to maintain the discipline to "make the connections."
Wordle: Readings 8-16-13
Wordle of today's readings

No comments:

Post a Comment